Job Title: Human rights lawyer
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: LLB/Member of NBA
Experience: 4 – 5 years
Location: Lagos Nigeria
The Litigation unit is responsible for providing legal assistance to clients who request it. This is done through our team of internal volunteer lawyers and external partner organizations. Legal assistance includes the provision of legal advice and ensuring perpetrators of SGBV are held accountable through facilitating arrest and prosecution.
- Monitor the progress of STER’s legal cases of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in Lagos.
- Liaising with relevant authorities such as the police, Ministry of Justice and Attorney General when necessary to ensure appropriate arrest/sentencing/conviction of perpetrators.
- Liaising with the survivors/their families when necessary, especially for the purpose of preparing them for cross-examination in court.
- Presence at all court proceedings for legal cases of SGBV in Lagos.
- Providing monthly reports on the progress of cases to the litigation assistant.
Requirements, Knowledge, and Expertise
- LLB in Law.
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association.
- 4 years’ post-call experience in criminal litigation, particularly to do with SGBV and human rights issues.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Tools.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- A passion for SGBV and human rights issues.
How to Apply
- If your skills and credentials meet the above profile, please apply by submitting your CV in English with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also require that you provide three references to support your application, please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and other selection processes.
- Kindly indicate the reference code FTV202101 in your applications and let the job title be the Subject matter of the email.